Cita Comiquera: 10 cosas que no hay que decirle a una lectora de comics
Top 10 things not to say to a female reader of superhero comics
1. The people who read superhero comics are men and sex sells. If you don’t like it don’t read the comics.
So why is the top selling comics of 2011 a book that has no female characters in it? Or why are the Batman books the top selling books when they rarely feature any female characters?
2. If you don’t like these comics why don’t you go make your own comics?
Would you tell a sports fan unhappy with their Football team to go create his own Football team? No? Than don’t say this.
3. Why don’t you read Manga?
Not everybody likes Manga. I don’t like Manga.
4. There are plenty of female friendly comics out there that aren’t superhero comics. Why not just read those?
Because I like superhero comics, which have brought me much joy through the years except when they don’t.
5. You have Wonder Woman/Batwoman or X.23 what else do you want?
I want more books like that.
6. Marvel is worse, why are you bitching about DC? or DC is worse than Marvel, why aren’t you bitching about DC?
What does what one publisher does have any relation to what another publisher does?
7. If all you feminists stopped all your bitching and bought more chick comics, there would be more chick comics. It’s your fault.
Of course it is. It couldn’t possibly be that the publishers market almost exclusively to males.
8. Who cares if there are books that treat female characters as objects. Why not just focus on the books that don’t.
Because some of those books have characters I like? And mainly because the demeaning treatment of female characters is a human issue not a female issue.
9. Birds of Prey! Gail Simone!
Yep, happy to have them. But that’s one book and one creator.
10. Vote with your pocketbook. If you don’t like something don’t buy it.
Gee, I would have never, ever figured that out by myself! And I already do that. But wait, I thought we dumb feminists couldn’t get our shit together to get enough chick books sold, how the hell are we going to impact sales enough to make anyone change? Ha, gotcha!